Interests: Gene therapy, Molecular biology, Immunology, Bioinformatics
Gene therapy for cancer and rheumatoid arthritis
Course Taught Previously:
BT363 - Medical Biotechnology
BT254 - Molecular Biology & Genetics Lab
BT301 - Immunology
BT304 - Immunology Lab
BT101 - Engineering Biology
BT465 - Genomics and Proteomics
BT256 - Molecular Biology Lab
Courses Currently Being Taught:
BT5114 - Molecular Immunology
BT303 - Immunology
4. R. Kowshik Aravilli, S. Laveen Vikram, V. Kohila*. The functional impact of alternative splicing and single nucleotide polymorphisms in rheumatoid arthritis. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, 2020 (Published). [Bentham publications]. SCI, IF: 2.097. doi: 10.2174/
3. R. Kowshik Aravilli, S. Laveen Vikram, V. Kohila*. Phytochemicals as potential antidotes for targeting NF-kappaB in rheumatoid arthritis. 3 biotech, 2017, 7:253. [Springer publications]. SCI, IF: 1.798..
2. Raza MA, V. Kohila, Ghosh SS. Redesigned E. coli cytosine deaminase: a new facet of suicide gene therapy. J Gene Med, 2015, 17, 132-139. [John Wiley & sons Ltd]. SCI, IF: 3.258.
1. V. Kohila, Amit Jaiswal, Siddhartha Sankar Ghosh. Rationally designed Escherichia coli cytosine deaminase mutants with improved specificity towards the prodrug 5-fluorocytosine for potential gene therapy applications. Med. Chem. Commun., 2012, 3, 1316-1322. [RSC publications]. SCI, IF: 2.4.
Mr. R. Kowshik Aravilli (Full time scholar) - July 2014 - till date
8. R. Kowshik Aravilli, V. Kohila*. Redesigned hGSTM1- an antidote to oxidative stress, Recent Advancements in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, 15-16 March, 2019, IIT BHU, Varanasi.
7. R. Kowshik Aravilli, V. Kohila*. In silico redesigning of hGSTM1 towards suppression of oxidative stress in rheumatoid arthritis, International Conference on Advances in Biotechnology and Biotherapeutics, 8-10 March, 2017, Sathyabama University, Chennai.
6. V. Kohila*. Solar driven water disinfection by ozonization using phytoplankton: An overview, International Conference on Innovations in Sustainable Water & Waste water Treatment Systems, 21-23 April, 2016, CSIR-NEERI, Pune.
5. V. Kohila*. Restructured Rubisco for enhanced biosequestration of carbon dioxide by effective bioprecipitation of calcium carbonate, International Conference on Recent Trends in Biosciences, [Poster Presentation; Awarded Second Prize]7-9 April 2016, Alagappa University, Karaikudi.
4. R. Kowshik Aravilli, V. Kohila*. In silico modeling of hGSTM1 to suppress inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis, International Conference and Workshop on structure based drug designing and application to infectious diseases, 1-5 February, 2016, HCU, Hyderabad.
3. Asif raza, V. Kohila, Siddhartha Sankar Ghosh. Application of redesigned E. coli cytosine deaminase in the perspective of cancer, 5th International Conference on Stem Cells and Cancer (ICSCC-2014): Proliferation, Differentiation and Apoptosis, 8-11 November, 2014, JNU, New Delhi.
2. V. Kohila, Siddhartha Sankar Ghosh*. The Emergence of E. coli Uracil PhosphoRibosylTransferase mutants in the prospect of cancer therapeutics: a Bioinformatics Approach, International Symposium on Bioengineering, 2012, IIT Guwahati.
1. V. Kohila, Amit Jaiswal, Siddhartha Sankar Ghosh*. Redesigning of E. coli cytosine deaminase in the perspective of cancer therapeutics, 3rd International Conference on Stem Cells and Cancer: Proliferation, Differentiation and Apoptosis (ICSCC- 2012), 27-30 October, 2012. [Poster Presentation; Best Poster Award], PGIMER, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, New Delhi.
1. Anti-inflammatory effect of a novel fusion suicide gene bCDS126R-hGST on rheumatoid arthritis, ICMR, 2017-2020.
PI: Dr. V. Kohila; Co-PI: Dr. Amit jaiswal, Assistant Professor, IIT Mandi.
2. Cytotoxic and tumor suppressor role of a novel fusion suicide gene bCDF186W-hPFN1 on rheumatoid arthritis, Rs. 39.21 lakhs, DST-SERB, 2018-2021.
PI: Dr. V. Kohila
Awards and Honours:
1. Qualified Combined Entrance Examination for Biotechnology (CEEB), 2006, conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
2. Qualified Department of Biotechnology Junior Research Fellowship (DBT-JRF), 2008.
3. University rank holder (Second) in M.Tech (2008), WBUT.
4. MHRD fellowship to pursue PhD at IIT Guwahati.
Faculty In-charge, III B.Tech Biotechnology from 2015 - May 2018
Departmental Time table In-charge from July 2017 - Dec 2017
Departmental Internet & Telecom In-charge from May 2018 - till date
DAC PG & R Member from May 2018 - till date
Ladies hostel warden (Priyadarshini hall) from Nov 2018 - till date
Member, Institute Data Analytics Working Group