HISTORY AND MILESTONES
The dept. of electrical Engineering was established in the year 1959, since the inception of the Institute. The dept. developed state of the art Infrastructure, thanks to the liberal assistance received in the formative years under UNESCO aid through UNDP and later from MHRD, GOI through several schemes like institutional network scheme( INS) , MODROBS, R& D, thrust area programme and TEQIP phase-1 and 2.
The dept. had the fortune of well trained and dedicated faculty due to whose sustained efforts the dept. enjoys a position of eminence in the field of technical education.
The post graduate programmes of the dept. were started in the year 1964 coinciding with the 1st outgoing batch of the under graduate course.
The establishment of the PG courses has contributed significantly to the research and consultancy activities of the dept. Going by the mission and vision of the institute, the dept. always endeavoured to contribute significantly to the growth of technical education in this area in tune with this objective the dept. organised a number of fresher courses tailor made for industries and utilities like BHEL, APSEB, TATA power companies, VSP etc.
The dept. also organised several continuing education programmes in emerging areas to faculty of educational institutions in and around the region. The dept. is recognised as a QIP centre for M. Tech programmes in electrical engineering.
The dept. was active in research and the faculty completed several research projects sponsored by MHRD CSIR and other private and govt. organizations. With the provision of institute fellowships for Ph.D. scholars, the research activity in the dept. received a boost and currently there are about 26 Ph.D. scholars working for their doctorate degrees in various areas.
In its 50 odd years of existence the department had quite a few academic accomplishments. To site a few of them are